I have been asking myself, do you really need another brownie recipe? I know I already have quite a few on here! But I feel like they all have their place, depending on what sort of brownie you feel like and how much time you have. I thought I would throw another one in the mix anyway, because I was playing around with some recipes and really, this has been my favourite so far: Chocolate Chunk Brownies.
This recipe is a gooey, fudgy brownie that comes together very quickly but you have to watch it very carefully in the oven to make sure it doesn’t overcook. If you love something super chocolately and so rich you can only have a small amount (followed secretly by a giant piece of course because it’s too good to stop!) then this is for you. I get that some people aren’t big chocoholics though (sort of…) so if you’re not in the mood for a big chocolate hit then this probably isn’t for you!
So you know how I moved to Auckland last year and my boyfriend has still been in Wellington? Well, he LOVES brownies and I think he was having serious withdrawals from my baking, so when I made these I sent him a care package. I think they got a bit bumped on the way, but apparently they were amazing anyway so these brownies are also transportable! 😉
Speaking of the boyfriend, he is pretty happy right now because as of next week I will officially be back in Wellington! Even though I have really enjoyed my time in Auckland and I’ve made some really great friends here who I will dearly miss, when my job situation changed I felt it was the right time to go back to the coolest little capital. I’m not entirely sure what the future holds right now, but I do know that it will be great to move back and start afresh even if it will be significantly colder there!
I’m also really excited because it’s my birthday in just over two weeks and I love birthdays so much!!!!!!! Not just mine, although of course getting presents is pretty awesome, I just love celebrating and gift giving as well which is actually kind of cool because I have a twin sister, I always have someone to share this with. One of our friends is making our birthday cake (which I will share on here in a few weeks) and I know it’s going to be awesome – she does cakes for order so if you want to check her out you can find her at @torte_ney on Instagram. She does some pretty amazing cakes!
Back to brownies – basically I thought these were the bomb, everyone at work loved them and so did my boyfriend so you should definitely try them and let me know what you think in the comments. 🙂 Happy baking!
- 115g (1 stick) butter, cubed
- 230g (11.3oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tspn vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tspn baking powder
- 3 Tbspn cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 200g (3.5oz) milk chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F) and grease and line a 22cm (8.7in) or 18 x 27cm (7 x 10.5in) tin.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a microwave proof bowl. Melt in 30 second bursts, whisking every so often until the chocolate and butter is emulsified. Cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, eggs and vanilla, whisking until combined. Add the butter and chocolate to the mixture and continue whisking until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and whisk gently until just combined. Add the chopped milk chocolate and fold through the brownie mix.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until just crusty on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with only a few crumbs attached.
- Cool the brownies in the pan on a wire rack, once room temperature, cut into 5cm (2in) squares.
- The brownies will last for up to 5 days in an airtight container, if you can wait that long!