I know that there are a lot of brownie recipes on this blog already… And I know, do you really need another one? I think the answer is yes. Absolutely yes, because not only are brownies in general amazing, but these ones just have something special that makes them different to the Fudgy Chocolate Blueberry Brownies and The Baked Brownies. They have a rich, slightly nutty flavour from the browned butter and are packed with chocolate (of course!). You don’t have to add in the chopped chocolate to the mixture, but it just makes it that little bit more special!
Special enough for some special news? I finally bought my tickets to the USA this week, woooo! I’m so excited to go to the Everything Food Conference and meet so many other amazing food bloggers as well as do some travelling around and go to Miami and New York as well, both cities I have never been to! Has anyone been to those cities recently and have any recommendations of fun things to do? The only plans I have so far is to go shopping and eat some amazing food… 😀
It’ll also be great because it’ll be starting to get cold in New Zealand as Fall comes on but then I’ll be going to 30°C (86°F) in Miami in which I will probably die. It honestly doesn’t really get too cold or too hot in Wellington as a rule, it’s usually just kinda hot in Summer and kinda cold in Winter. So when you get used to that, 30°C seems very hot! I know I shouldn’t be complaining as I’ve been seeing snowstorms all throughout the US!! But what is life without a little complaining ae?
Seriously though, I hope that everyone affected by Jonas is ok and that the snow didn’t interrupt too many plans! I think these brownies are definitely a reward after the storm and they are the perfect comfort food for the cold weather. Well, really they’re the perfect comfort food at any time of year, but even more so during a blizzard! And when it’s snowing outside and nowhere to go, what better fun to have than baking?
This recipe is for all you brownie lovers out there and for all the times we’ve been served dry and hard brownies that are just a disappointment. Say yes to fudgy and delicious brownies! Happy baking!
- 230g (2 sticks) butter
- 250g (9oz) dark chocolate bits
- 150g (5oz) milk chocolate, chopped roughly
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar
- 2 tspn vanilla essence
- 1/2 tspn sea salt
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and line a 26cm (10in) square baking tin.
- In a medium sized pot, melt all of the butter. Then, stirring occasionally, cook until it foams up and releases a nutty flavour, it should also be a light brown colour.
- In a separate large bowl, place the dark chocolate bits. Pour the browned butter over the top of this and leave for a minute to melt, then stir until smooth. If the chocolate doesn’t melt completely, zap it in the microwave in 30 second bursts until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Add both sugars to this bowl and mix until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla essence and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the flour and the chopped milk chocolate to the mixture and mix until only just combined, there can be a few flour streaks remaining.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack in the tin, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely before cutting and stuffing your face with brownie goodness!
- The brownies will keep up to 5 days in a airtight container, if needed.