Does life get any better than this? A glass of milk, cup of coffee, whatever takes your fancy and a thick, fudgy piece of brownie swirled with dollops of Nutella. We all know about my unhealthy obsession with Nutella… But you guys seem to be just as big fans of the chocolate hazelnut goodness as me, the Nutella Birthday Cake is one of my most popular recipes! So I thought, I have to bring you something else with Nutella. It couldn’t be just any old Nutella baked good though, it has to be delicious and worthy of “wasting” part of a jar that you could’ve eaten with a spoon. Not that I’ve done that… In the last week… 😉
These brownies are definitely worth giving up the Nutella to produce something even better! The day I made them, I told my flatmates they could only have one piece each until I had time to photograph them the next day. Mean right? Well, by the next night, all night it was “have you finished yet, have you finished?” and then when I finally did finish, I’m pretty sure one of my flatmates and the boyfriend ate half the pan between them! It really was that good. I based the recipe off of The Baked Brownie recipe, but made some tweaks to make it even more delicious and amazing.
This week has been a big one for me and it’s only Tuesday! I’m up in Auckland all week for work to run the induction programme that I organise and it’s been pretty full on, all those last minute details amirite? Don’t worry though, I have found time to enjoy the important things – if you follow me on Snapchat (chloekincaid) you will have seen the room service and restaurants I’ve managed to enjoy already!
I feel like one of the best parts of staying at a hotel is room service. It’s just the lazy person’s dream! I think the only thing that might compete, is the massive bed you get to yourself. It is very luxurious to be able to stretch out on a bed and not worry about kicking someone else!
It does get a bit lonely I suppose. But when you have Nutella Brownies, are you ever really alone? Happy baking!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tspn salt
- 1/4 cup + 3 Tbspn dark cocoa powder
- 330g (11.5oz) chopped chocolate or chips
- 230g (2 sticks) butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups soft brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tspn vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup Nutella (or similar)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease and line a large (~10in/25cm) rectangular or square baking pan.
- Put the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl and microwave it in short bursts (around 30 seconds) until the butter is completely melted.
- Add the sugars straight away and whisk until completely combined. The mixture should be room temperature.
- Add the eggs one by one, mixing after each addition until all are combined. Add the vanilla and stir until combined. Do not overbeat the batter at this stage otherwise your brownies will be cakey instead of fudgy and delicious!
- Melt the Nutella in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave (shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds), then add half to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, salt and cocoa powder to the chocolate mixture and fold into the chocolate until just only streaks of flour are just visible, using a rubber spatula (not a whisk).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Take the remaining Nutella and, using a teaspoon, spoon splodges (no other word for it!) all over the brownie, making sure to splodge right near the edges too. Once all the Nutella is on top, take either the spoon handle or a toothpick and swirl the Nutella all around so that is more evenly covers the whole top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the brownies comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Let the brownie cool completely, then lift out of the pan using the baking paper. Cut into squares and serve.
- The brownies will keep for up to a week in an airtight container.